понеділок, 2 лютого 2015 р.

On the Move




Dear Victoria,
Do you remember me? No wonder if not as it’s ages since I last wrote to you. You used to call me “a sister-in-heart”, so it’s me - Bella Fiorentino, your 12-year old Italian friend. I wish I had known your Washington address earlier. Hope you’ve settled in allright? I’m writing to share with you my biggest pleasure of having at last moved to the country of my great expectations - America. I can’t but thank you enough for all those precious pieces of advice you gave to my family. If it wasn’t for you and your parents, we wouldn’t be here now. And of course, I want you to know all my story of immigration, both sad and happy, the story of my pursuit of better life…
From the very beginning, that was your father who encouraged mine to flee from our poorness, hardships in running the family business and high taxation in Italy. But I loved our charming home down the vibrant cobbled street in Palermo so much that I hadn't the least desire to leave it. As for parents, they were unsure about the integration into a new society, but finally they ventured to get away from the native land forever and migrate to America. So, we entrusted our fate to God and soon our family workshop along with the house were sold. As it happened, we were able to afford such an expensive trip. Having got special valid passports and tickets for all of us, my parents, I and my 3 younger brothers boarded a huge steamship “Saint Samuel” and set off with a strong faith in better future.
To tell you the truth, as well as you in 1913, I didn’t get pleasure out of this journey at all. It was a real cultural shock for me. Just imagine: the vessel was crowded with different ethnic groups, tons of luggage, cargo and even animals! Following your advice, everything dear to our hearts was kept close by us - family photos, some religious items and Juliano’s little toy Clown. Anyway, we weren’t able to pack much, that’s why all our belongings consisted mostly of clothes on our backs. The trip turned out to be long and tiresome, but the main challenge was the health and legal inspections on our arrival. Thanks to you, we were forewarned about them in advance. I did my best not to show that I was sick and frightened while being examined from hair to toes, and it worked! Poor Juliano, he was close to tears when the “eye man” flipped back his eyelids with a strange metallic hook. But luckily, we all successfully passed through the inspections and soon were free to go.
Having reached Lower East Side, our family was given an apartment thanks to your father, who negotiated about it with the local authorities. As you told me, the building was quite old and cramped with 19 families living on 5 floors. Despite that, we soon made ourselves at home after some restoration works and roughing it. We were surprised at the  kindness of our neighbours who helped us greatly then. We live in peace now sharing our sorrows and joys with them.
Time flies, and Dad got a job in docks, he says it’s quite hard physically but the payment is rather high as for the immigrant. Mummy is a garment worker in the clothing factory, she often brings some work home to earn extra money. I help her out now and then, when not studying at school with brothers, so I have almost no time to laze around. You know, boys soak up the new culture and the language very quickly, though for me it’s a bit hard to undergo shyness, especially with fellows. Luckily, we don’t feel any animosity towards us at school. Hopefully, very soon I’ll get the hang of using English.
             Of course, sometimes I feel nostalgic, totally tired of hard work, but once or twice our family along with yours escaped to Coney Island. It was really stunning! Parents went for a wander in the open air while we enjoyed hot dogs and egg cream bought from a hot dog vendor. The only thing is, we were a bit frightened by some weird clowns entertaining the public at the funfair. Have a look, they’re really scary, aren’t they?

                                                     

                That’s all my news for now. Thank you again for everything you’ve done. Hope to see you some day. When are you planning to come to New York? Please, write back as soon as possibile.

Best wishes,

Bella.            

P.S. I am enclosing a postcard  and some photos: 
      
 
  

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар